Wednesday 2 November 2011

Halloween


This week’s theme at school assemblies has been Halloween, a traditional and historic festival that has had it’s roots in this country for around 2,000 years.

The ancient Britons would celebrate the change in the seasons, by dressing in animal skins, lighting bonfires and walking from house to house, seeking gifts of food and drink from different families.

Around 800 years ago, as Christianity was spreading through Europe, and most of the rest of the world, a counter festival, called All Saints Day, was introduced on November 1st.

The day before was known as All Hallows Eve, which over the years has been rephrased and re-understood to be known as Halloween.

The tradition of trick or treating has been popular for many years expecially in the USA and parts of South America, but did not return to the UK until the 1980’s.

Many of the older staff in the Academy, including myself, have not ever been trick or treating, and for us it is an odd evening which seems to be driven by the UK’s obsession with following American culture.

Sadly it seems that trick or treating might also be an excuse for poor or unruly behaviour. It seems to be for some that rules do not exist for this evening, and that anything goes. A sad state that we find ourselves living in but yet a reality.

So the question I ask myself is this: Should I accept the changes that have occurred within my lifetime and embrace the opportunity to have fun on a night such as this or? Do I stick to my own upbringing and not accept change.

Can you imagine if I had decided to never follow change, and not use a mobile phone? Would I still be listening to cassettes, or records and CD’s instead of my iTouch?!

Perhaps I would arrive at the Academy on a horse and cart?

Yet still I have a nagging doubt about the validity of an event which for some people is frightening, intimidating and deeply unpleasant.

My own children have spent this weekend watching countless American TV programmes on Nickleodeon and Disney Channels, all about Halloween and the fun side of this.

However, my children will not be taking part in any celebrations for Halloween, because of how I feel.

As Principal I have asked the children, because they’re children, to listen to their parents and follow the rules that exist within their family.

As pupils, I have asked they listen to the staff here, and follow the rules that exist within the school.

And as citizens of this country, it is important that they listen to the advice of the government, judges and the police, and follow the rules and laws that exist within our society.

Perhaps this feels that young people have less choice. But as young people get older they will have more choices come their way, and need to make decisions. More opportunities will be presented where they can follow their own mind and make their own path.

The hope of our children’s parents, the school and society is that they will make good decisions.

Decisions that keep them safe.

Decisions that keep them out of trouble.

Decisions that value other peoples opinions.

And decisions that make a good impact for them and those around them.

Well that is my hope…

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment